- 10 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 90 g caster sugar (A)
- 8 egg whites
- 90 g caster sugar (B)
- 90 g plain flour, sieved
- 90 g corn flour, sieved
- 45 g unsalted butter, melted
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 ¼ sheet of gelatine
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp caster sugar (A)
- 125 ml thickened cream (A)
- 60 g Bonne Maman Strawberry-Raspberry and Elderflower Spread
- ½ lemon, zested
- 50 g fresh strawberries, chopped
- 50 g fresh raspberries, torn
- 30 g caster sugar (B)
- 175 ml thickened cream (B)
- 1 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- Heat the oven to 160°C, fan forced.
- Trace 2 discs, 160mm in diameter, onto a sheet of baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whist the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar (A) until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy then gradually add the sugar (B) while continuing to whisk.
- Fold the sieved flour and corn flour through the egg yolk mixture until there are no lumps remaining.
- In 3 additions, add the meringue and gently fold through.
- Add a small amount of the sponge mixture to the melted butter and mix to incorporate before folding it back through the sponge.
- Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a 10mm plain piping nozzle.
- Pipe 2 discs onto the prepared baking paper in a coil formation beginning in the centre of each disc.
- Pipe the remaining sponge mixture in 80mm lengths to create lady fingers.
- Sprinkle the top with additional caster sugar and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Slightly trim one end of the lady fingers to create a flat edge.
- Heat the oven to 150°C, fan forced.
- Soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar (A).
- Boil the cream (A) then slowly pour it over the egg yolk mixture while whisking.
- Return the mixture to the heat and stir until it reaches 80°C before removing from the heat.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the gelatine and place it into the saucepan. Mix to combine.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool to 34°C.
- Add the Bonne Maman Strawberry-Raspberry and Elderflower Spread, lemon zest and berries and gently fold to incorporate.
- Place the sugar (B) into the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, semi-whip cream (B) until it has some body but still collapses.
- Whisk the egg whites, hot sugar and cream of tartar until you achieve medium peaks.
- Gradually fold the fruit mixture through the meringue.
- Lastly, add the semi-whipped cream and fold through.
- Line the base and sides of a 160mm round tin with a plastic wrap.
- Gently warm the Bonne Maman Strawberry-Raspberry and Elderflower Spread.
- If required, trim the sponge discs to 160mm in diameter then brush the top and sides with the Bonne Maman Strawberry-Raspberry and Elderflower Spread.
- Place one sponge disc into the prepared tin and spread evenly with half of the berry bavarois.
- Repeat with a second layer of sponge and bavarois.
- Place into the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours to set.